Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Response #1: Introduce yourself...

When posed the question, What ways do you learn?, I immediately think back to the times I learned how to do the most basic things in life such as learning how to tie my shoe laces, write my name, change a flat tire, make a hearty corn chowder, be a mother; these I learned by doing.

The way I learn in a classroom doesn't steer far from the way I have learned to do these life skills. I can be talked and taught at endlessly, but am I really learning? No. My learning and retention occurs when I begin to do what was taught. When I first learned how to write up a lesson plan , my understanding of what information goes under the anticipatory set or what exactly classifies as an accommodation was all unclear although I knew these requirements had been reiterated to me several times. No matter the times my professor went over the components of a successful lesson plan, it wasn't until I was sitting in front of my computer doing the lesson plan that I completely learned how to make a lesson plan.

So the way I learn best? That would undoubtedly be by doing. Whether that means doing something a couple of times to get it just right, each time I do it I learn something new. Trial and error results in the best learning for me, and I believe this way results in more, successful learning.
_____________________________________________________________________


I like technology and I believe it's a gateway to a brighter, better future. Because of this belief I am pretty technologically savvy. I love knowing and learning how to use the newest piece of technology.I have a 'texting phone' which means it has a keyboard similar to my laptop. I have an itouch mp3 player that allows me to surf the web if wireless permits. I use a mac and windows computer daily. When I was young I was one of those, 'I won't use anything but a windows computer' type of person only because it was something different and I didn't see the use in having to know both types of operating systems. Of course now I see the beauty and need of both systems. As many other things in life, each has its good and bad. I know how to basically use most of the programs on each system, although I am more comfortable with the programs on windows because my high school was strictly windows and I engaged in classes that used these windows programs. In my high school years I learned how to use several of the Microsoft programs; front page, word, excel, publisher, and power point.

When it comes to my experience with technology in college, that is limited. I have used my skills in these Microsoft programs for various college courses. I have yet to learn the latest technologies used in schools and I look forward to learning what these are, and how to use them in this current class, Technology in Education.

1 comment:

  1. Tonya,

    Thank you so much for sharing a little about yourself. I think as teachers, it's very important that we ourselves understand how we learn best. Most students learn the best as you do, by actually performing the task. It is important that as we go through this course, we realize that we need to make our learning for students as experiential as possible. Technology is a fantastic aid in making learning a "hands-on" experience for kids.

    It sounds like that although you have some experience with PC's , you also have some experience with MACS and will be able to adapt easily. I finally got an IPod touch for Christmas and I love it. I bring it everywhere with me. Just that platform alone, I'm sure, has given you Mac experience. The Touch is set up very similar to any other MAC.

    I look forward to working with you and getting to know you more through ED 210.
    ~Judi

    ReplyDelete